Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wicked...and I couldn't be Happier



I'm going out of order here, but does it really matter? I just have to talk about one of the most fun nights I've ever had. Last Wenesday my friend Lori, our daughters, and Lori's cousin and my friend Erica all went to the Broadway show - (on Mill Avenue, not Broadway) - Wicked. We had been waiting for months for this day to arrive and were thrilled to be there. I really cannot begin to describe just how Awesome it was was! But I will try...
First, it's just so
fun doing something with great friends whose company you cherish. These women are people who make me laugh and feel happier
just from being in their company.
And I'm just crazy about my daughter Camille. She is so fun to hang out with and although I miss having a little girl, I adore the young lady she is now. We'd already spent a good day of shopping together and were so excited and happy to finally be at the main event.

I had been singing and memorizing the songs from the Wicked Soundtrack for months now so I thought I had a pretty good idea what it was I would be seeing onstage. It was even better than I could have imagined. Within the first couple of scenes my perception of the Galinda character had been so altered I actually wanted to be her! We were entranced by the performances of both the main characters as well as those performing in the other roles. At one point in the first act Elphaba was performing a solo and had such magnificent command of the stage as her voice carried throughout the auditorium I had to turn to Camille and tell her I just felt like crying it was so good. And I nearly did.

Something I wasn't expecting was the humor and all the jokes we heard. Galinda had most of the best lines, including "It seems the artichoke is steamed" and one of my favorites, "Well, there has been much rumor and speculation...innuendo, outuendo..." I'll certainly need to go see Wicked at least three or four times more just to catch all of the Ozisms and tongue in cheek jokes.

Costuming is another thing I notice, having helped with the costuming of three of the last musicals our school has put on. Can I just say WOW!? Every odd shaped outfit down to the buttons was amazing. The hats, wigs, shoes, bustles were all Ozzy crazy; each little detail being so important to the overall look. Galinda's outfits were stunning, of course, and her main gown was simply gorgeous - (nothing "simply" about it really). Camille wants it for her prom dress! Hah!

Toward the end of the show is a song sung by Elphaba and Galinda called "For Good." They agree that each of their lives was better for having known the other. I reflected on that and all the people who have affected my life for good, and in the words of Galinda, "I've had so many..." I think of a High School Government teacher, Mr. F, who shared his knowledge, teaching me so much about the world I lived in then and today. I think of a mentor and friend, C., who inspired and encouraged me to act on interests and talents I'd thought long forgotten. I think of my Grandma and her great example to me of love, unselfishness, faith, and strength through adversity. I think of Starr and her friendship to me in good and difficult days. And then I
wonder about the reverse. Have I been a good teacher, example, and friend to others? Am I doing anything to affect someone's life "for good"?

The first act ends with another inspiring song, "Defying Gravity." After the play my friends and I talked about what it means to defy gravity, - aside from actually flying on a broom which none of us has mastered - yet. (I do admit to being witchy enough to fit the hat and broom however! heehee!) But what we came to realize was that none of us have to be held down or limited by what others expect us to be, or indeed - what we ourselves, believe us to capable of. We can shed negativity and low expectations, and we can fly - figuratively.

I enjoyed this night so much and the company I experienced it with couldn't have been better. I'll continue to sing Wicked songs and quote wicked phrases a long time from now, and I'll never forget the one short night of good Wickedness with good friends.

No comments: